One thing that I love about Campo de' Fiori is that it is so close to the popular and upbeat square, Piazza Navona. It takes only a couple of minutes, and a walk across the street to get to Piazza Navona from Campo de' Fiori. The piazza's couldn't be more different.
While Campo is usually chaotic and busy because of the popular market that invades the square in the morning, Piazza Navona is completely deserted. Just last week, I took a stroll through the market, which led to my mouth watering due to the delectable fruit selection. Although it was only past 8 o'clock in the morning, the area was already packed, as the stands lined up side by side offering various fresh fruits and vegetables. But, as we continued our walk and approached Piazza Navona, I was astonished by the tranquility that filled the air. There were no vendors in sight, no paintings for sale and no restaurants or shops open. Besides a few locals who passed by with their dogs, the stone region was bare.
At first, I was bothered by the unusual silence. But as I sat on a bench that allowed me to see the entire piazza, my bothersome soon turned to peacefulness. I have gotten so used to this busy city always being crowded, especially when I visit the popular sites and monuments. It was a great feeling to sit and enjoy the true essence of the piazza. Unfortunately, not all areas in Rome will ever clear out, like Piazza Navona does in the morning. If you find yourself overwhelmed in this city, take a stroll through Piazza Navona in the early morning and appreciate the peacefulness.
Tuesday, 17 June 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment