Sunday, 1 June 2008

Floating Musicians

Ever since I first began observing the street performers around Rome, I wondered if the musicians pick a certain spot to perform, and continually go there each day. The other day, I found myself strolling around the Piazza della Rotanda, where the Pantheon is located. I saw a young boy dressed in a proper, white, button up shirt that looked like it had just been nicely ironed. I noticed that he was carrying a violin case, and stopped in front of a crowded restaurant that was outside. As I got closer, I realized it was the same boy I had seen last week, playing the violin in Campo de' Firori. It was around the same time in the afternoon that I saw him play. Interestingly, both times he stood directly in front of a crowded restaurant, mesmerizing the guests with his talent. Ironically, on my walk home from the Piazza, I ran into the older man I saw last week, who played the Hava Nagila song on his violin. Just as the same boy, he was in a completely different place than I had first seen him. I have made a conclusion that the street performers are never consistent with the location that they play, but it's never too hard to stumble upon some entertainment in Rome.

No comments: